14 UVU Wrestlers Recognized for Academic Success by WWC
OREM, Utah — The Western Wrestling Conference released its 2010-11 All-Academic Team and Coaches' Honor Roll on Friday and 14 wrestlers from Utah Valley University were recognized. Four individuals from UVU made the WWC All-Academic Team and 10 made the Coaches' Honor Roll.
UVU's Casen Eldredge, Justin Morrill, Flint Ray and Josh Wilson were the four that were named to the All-Academic Team. The sophomore Wilson led the way with a 3.70 GPA while the departing senior Ray was right behind him with a 3.69 GPA. Fellow seniors Morrill and Eldredge respectively maintained a 3.57 and a 3.30 cumulative GPA while at UVU.
Ten Wolverines made the Coaches' Honor Roll and they were:
- Christian Denny (3.70 GPA)
- Avery Garner (3.33 GPA)
- Zac Jensen (3.60 GPA)
- Benjamin Kjar (3.07 GPA)
- Eric McAllister (3.46 GPA)
- Sam Mecham (3.72 GPA)
- Wyatt Ray (3.07 GPA)
- Monte Schmalhaus (3.24 GPA)
- Glenn Terrano (3.21 GPA)
- Logan Wilson (3.04 GPA)
With 14 student-athletes recognized UVU had the second most of any WWC institution finishing with just behind the Air Force Academy who had 16.
To qualify for the All-Academic team, student-athletes had to secure a minimum 3.20 cumulative grade point average, be a starter or key reserve and be a sophomore or higher in academic standing. The Coaches' Honor Roll recognizes student-athletes who have maintained a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
In all the WWC, who just finished its fifth year as a league, set a new record with 71 student-athletes from the seven member schools making the cut. The previous high was 56 that was set a year ago.
The seven schools that make up the WWC include the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
A couple weeks ago UVU was also recognized for its success in the classroom by the NWCA (National Wrestling Coaches Association) as the Wolverines boasted the ninth best team GPA in the nation with a 3.13. Individually the NWCA also named Kjar, Morrill, F. Ray and Wilson the the NWCA All-Academic Team.
2010-11 Western Wrestling Conference All-Academic Team (from UVU)
- Casen Eldredge (UVU), 184, Sr., 3.30 GPA, Business Management
- Justin Morrill (UVU), 141, Sr., 3.57 GPA, Speech Communication
- Flint Ray (UVU), 133, Sr., 3.69 GPA, Business Management
- Josh Wilson (UVU), 149, So., 3.70 GPA, Accounting
2010-11 Western Wrestling Conference Coaches' Honor Roll (from UVU)
- Christian Denny (UVU), HWT, Fr., 3.70 GPA, Business Management
- Avery Garner (UVU), 141/149, RFr., 3.33 GPA, Exercise Science
- Zac Jensen (UVU), HWT, RFr., 3.60 GPA, Exercise Science
- Benjamin Kjar (UVU), 125, Sr., 3.07 GPA, Business Management
- Eric McAllister (UVU), HWT, So., 3.46 GPA, Psychology
- Sam Mecham (UVU), 141, Fr., 3.72 GPA, Undeclared
- Wyatt Ray (UVU), 141, So., 3.07 GPA, Integrated Studies
- Monte Schmalhaus (UVU), 165, So., 3.24 GPA, Exercise Science
- Glenn Terrano (UVU), 141, So., 3.21 GPA, Community Health Education
- Logan Wilson (UVU), 141 So., 3.04 GPA, Exercise Science