UVU Drops a Pair of Duals in Boise
BOISE, Idaho – Utah Valley University dropped a pair of duals on Friday evening in Boise as it fell to both Boise State and No. 16 Iowa State. The Wolverines fell to the host Broncos by a mere point (19-18) and the ranked Cyclones by a score of 39-4.
"We don't like to lose, so we are not satisfied with two losses," said head coach Greg Williams. "We did a few good things against Iowa State, but they were the more talented team and it showed. We wrestled aggressively against Boise State and I was really pleased with a couple of the adjustments our guys made from the previous match.
"We won six of the 10 matches against Boise State and still lost because we gave up too many bonus points. You can't give up pins in dual meets and expect to win."
Junior 125-pounder Chasen Tolbert led UVU (0-2) on the day, as he was the lone Wolverine to pick up a pair of victories. Tolbert began the afternoon with a 9-0 major decision over ISU's Kyle Larson and followed it up with an 8-2 decision over BSU's Carson Kuhn. True freshman Dalton Harmon (165 pounds) also picked up a solid win for the Wolverines on the day as he defeated Boise State's Holden Packard in overtime by a score of 4-2.
"Chasen Tolbert has really progressed and was dominant in both if his matches, added Williams. "Dalton Harmon also had a tremendous effort to beat Boise's Holden Packard in overtime."
In the nightcap against the Broncos (1-1), UVU won six of the 10 matches in the contest but all by the standard decision as BSU managed to score seven bonus points to take the contest.
Junior 133-pounder Jade Rauser got the Wolverines off to a solid start as he recorded a 4-1 decision over BSU's Michael Cook. After three straight losses, which included two by fall, the freshman Harmon responded for UVU with a 4-2 victory in the tiebreaker rounds over Boise State's Packard to pull the Wolverines within nine (15-6). Senior Ethan Smith (174) then followed it up with another overtime victory for UVU as he downed Austin Dewey in sudden victory by a score of 6-4.
After a major decision from BSU's Cody Dixon at 184 pounds gave the Broncos a 19-9 advantage, junior Derek Thomas (197), redshirt freshman Jordan Karst (285) and Tolbert followed by winning the final three matches of the contest for the Wolverines, but UVU came up just short as it fell by a point. Thomas topped Colton Grossaint by a score of 5-2, while Karst defeated fellow heavyweight Gabriel Gonzalez 7-1 and Tolbert picked up an 8-2 victory over Kuhn.
After dropping the first nine contests to the ranked Cyclones (2-0) earlier in the day, Tolbert came through in the final bout of the contest with his major decision over ISU's Larson.
Freshman Matthew Ontiveros (141) and Karst also wrestled well for the Wolverines against Iowa State as they dropped their respective contests by a combined total of three points.
The Wolverines will continue their dual campaign next week in Arizona, as they will face Arizona State on Friday and Grand Canyon on Saturday. Following next week's duals, UVU will head to the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational on Dec. 5-6.
No. 16 IOWA STATE 39, UTAH VALLEY 4
- 133 - No. 13 Earl Hall (ISU) over Jade Rauser (UVU), Fall 1:40
- 141 - John Meeks (ISU) over Matthew Ontiveros (UVU), Dec 11-9
- 149 - Gabe Moreno (ISU) over Trevor Willson (UVU), Dec 8-4
- 157 - Luke Goettl (ISU) over Logan Addis (UVU), Dec 7-2
- 165 - No. 3 Michael Moreno (ISU) over Dalton Harmon (UVU), TF 17-2 (6:41)
- 174 - No. 7 Tanner Weatherman (ISU) over Ethan Smith (UVU), MD 11-3
- 184 - No. 18 Lelund Weatherspoon (ISU) over Ross Taylor (UVU), Fall 6:24
- 197 - No. 3 Kyven Gadson (ISU) over Derek Thomas (UVU), Fall 3:49
- 285 - Quean Smith (ISU) over Jordan Karst (UVU), Dec 5-4
- 125 - Chasen Tolbert (UVU) over Kyle Larson (ISU), MD 9-0
BOISE STATE 19, UTAH VALLEY 18
- 133 - Jade Rauser (UVU) over Michael Cook (BSU), Dec 4-1
- 141 - Geo Martinez (BSU) over Derek Malan (UVU), Fall 1:32
- 149 - Chris Castillo (BSU) over Trevor Willson (UVU), Dec 5-3
- 157 - Steven Hernandez (BSU) over Koleton Hardy (UVU), Fall 4:09
- 165 - Dalton Harmon (UVU) over Holden Packard (BSU), TB-1 4-2
- 174 - Ethan Smith (UVU) over Austin Dewey (BSU), SV-1 6-4
- 184 - Cody Dixon (BSU) over Abel Gomez (UVU), MD 12-4
- 197 - Derek Thomas (UVU) over Colton Grossaint (BSU), Dec 5-2
- 285 - Jordan Karst (UVU) over Gabriel Gonzalez (BSU), Dec 7-1
- 125 - Chasen Tolbert (UVU) over Carson Kuhn (BSU), Dec 8-2