UVU Drops Dual Against ASU
TEMPE, Ariz. – Utah Valley University opened a non-conference dual at Arizona State with three straight wins but eventually fell, 22-15, at Wells Fargo Arena.
The Wolverines (0-3) built a 12-0 lead before the Sun Devils (3-1) used wins in the next six bouts to secure the dual win. Jade Rauser, Matthew Ontiveros, Trevor Willson and Chasen Tolbert all picked up victories for UVU.
The dual started at 133 pounds with Rauser getting the Wolverines six early points with a fall of Cord Coronado just 2:38 into the match. The fall is Rauser's third of the season, with all three coming in the opening period.
At 141 pounds, Matthew Ontiveros trailed late against Mech Spraggins but used riding time and a late takedown to force overtime. In the extra time, Ontiveros picked up an escape to earn the 8-7 win.
Trevor Willson wasted little time in scoring against Matt Kraus, getting a takedown and 3-point nearfall in the first minute of the 149 pound bout. Kraus eventually tied it at 6-6 in the third period but Willson picked up an escape followed by takedown in the waning seconds to win 9-6 and give Utah Valley a 12-0 dual lead.
The string of Arizona State wins started at 157 pounds with Joel Smith scoring a major decision over Logan Addis, 18-7. Jacen Petersen then held off a late charge by Dalton Harmon to win, 8-4, at 165 pounds.
Three of the final four ASU wins all went down to the wire with the exception of No. 8 Blake Stauffer's pin of Abel Gomez (1:13) at 184 pounds. At 174 Ray Waters edged Ethan Smith, 3-2; at 197 pounds, Josh DaSilveira used a last-second takedown to defeat Derek Thomas, 3-1; and at 285 a single takedown was again the difference in Chase Eskam's 3-1 win over Jordan Karst.
In the final bout of the night, at 125 pounds, Chasen Tolbert used a late takedown in both the second and third periods to secure a 5-1 decision over Ares Carpio to move his record to 7-1 on the young season.
The Wolverines will stay in the Phoenix area for a dual against Grand Canyon University on Saturday at 7 p.m. It's the final tune-up prior to the Cliff Keen Invitational Dec. 5-6 in Las Vegas and the last dual before the Western Wrestling Conference opener on Jan. 17 at home against Wyoming.
- 133 – Jade Rauser (UVU) defeated Cordero Coronado (ASU), fall (2:38)
- 141 – Matthew Ontiveros (UVU) defeated Demechino Spraggins (ASU), overtime decision, 8-7
- 149 – Trevor Willson (UVU) defeated Matthew Kraus (ASU), decision, 9-6
- 157 – Joel Smith (ASU) defeated Logan Addis (UVU), decision, 18-7
- 165 – Jacen Petersen (ASU) defeated Dalton Harmon (UVU), decision, 8-4
- 174 – Raymond Waters (ASU) defeated Ethan Smith (UVU), decision, 3-2
- 184 – Blake Stauffer (ASU) defeated Abel Gomez (UVU), fall (1:13)
- 197 – Joshua Dasilveira (ASU) defeated Derek Thomas (UVU), decision, 3-1
- 285 – Chace Eskam (ASU) defeated Jordan Karst (UVU), decision, 3-1
- 125 – Chasen Tolbert (UVU) defeated Ares Carpio (ASU), decision, 5-1