Wolverines Drop Big 12 Finale Saturday Night at Wyoming
LARAMIE, Wyo. – In its third consecutive Big 12 Conference road dual in as many nights, the Utah Valley University wrestling team fell to Wyoming by a score of 29-10 at the UniWyo Sports Complex on Saturday evening.
Despite suffering the defeat, seniors Jade Rauser (133 pounds) and Ross Taylor (174) as well as redshirt freshman Tyler Scott (125) all registered wins for UVU (3-10, 0-4 Big 12) against the Cowboys (6-6, 4-4 Big 12).
With the dual beginning at 133 pounds, Rauser got the Wolverines off to a solid start with a 12-2 major decision over UW's Drake Foster. Rauser recorded four takedowns and a near fall en route to the bonus-point win to give UVU an early 4-0 lead.
Following four straight Wyoming victories, Taylor answered for UVU with a 4-1 decision over Luke Pain to pull the team score to within 18-7.
The Pokes then put the contest away following a trio of victories at 184, 197 and heavyweight before Scott, who was filling in for senior Chasen Tolbert, snapped the streak in the final match of the evening with a 12-5 decision over UW's Brock George at 125. The victory for the redshirt freshman marked the first dual win of his collegiate career.
The contest marked the final Big 12 dual meet of the 2016 season for the Wolverines. UVU finished its inaugural season of competition in the new league with a 0-4 league record. After falling to South Dakota State at home a week ago (28-13), the Wolverines then dropped a 20-13 contest at Air Force on Thursday before falling by a mere point a night ago at Northern Colorado (19-18).
The Wolverines will now return home for their final dual of the season on Saturday, Feb. 20 when Grand Canyon comes to town. The contest will mark Senior Day for Utah Valley as seniors Rauser, Taylor, Tolbert and Derek Thomas will all be honored prior to the first match.
Wyoming 29, Utah Valley 10
- 133: Jade Rauser (UVU) over Drake Foster (Wyoming), decision, 12-2
- 141: #15 Bryce Meredith (Wyoming) over Jarod Maynes (UVU), fall (3:51)
- 149: Cole Mendenhall (Wyoming) over Trevor Willson (UVU), decision, 4-1
- 157: Archie Colgan (Wyoming) over Raider Lofthouse (UVU), decision, 8-6
- 165: Chaz Polson (Wyoming) over Brayden Humpherys (UVU), fall (2:32)
- 174: Ross Taylor (UVU) over Luke Paine (Wyoming), decision, 4-1
- 184: Ben Stroh (Wyoming) over Will Sumner (UVU), decision, 11-3
- 197: Brandon Tribble (Wyoming) over Aryton Almberg (UVU), decision, 14-1
- 285: #19 Tanner Harms (Wyoming) over Dustin Dennison (UVU), decision, 6-3
- 125: Tyler Scott (UVU) over Brock George (Wyoming), decision, 12-5